No Chinese Harvard Students Will Return Home in Present Crisis States Miao--Porter Comments on Present Situation

Although a few Chinese students have already left several of the New England colleges in order to fight in Manchuria, definite announcement has been made by C. T. Miao, president of the Harvard Chinese Students' Club, that none of the Chinese graduates or undergraduates at Harvard will leave the University at present, during the wars with Japan.

At the last meeting of the Students' Club, it was suggested that a petition be drawn up asking the University officials to permit Chinese graduate students to take the R. O. T. C. training course as a preparation measure, but as the scheme did not meet with the approval of all the members, it was abandoned, and the club decided that if any graduate student did want to take the course, which is now limited to undergraduates, he could apply individually.

When asked what he thought of the half dozen students, who are giving up their college work, and returning to China, Professor K. T. Mei, of the Chinese Department described the movement as being an emotional one, and believed that the Chinese at Harvard would take a more sensible stand. Although the students now at Harvard are naturally as outraged at the Japanese aggrandization as their friends at home, the general feeling as expressed by P. C. Kuo, member of the Chinese Students' Club, is that the students can be of more use here explaining what is happening in China, than they could by fighting as an officer or private.

In commenting upon the present situation in Manchuria, Professor L. C. Porter, visiting lecturer in Chinese Philosophy, declared that in conducting this outrageous campaign, which in itself is bad enough, the Japanese have no case at all, and that every single excuse or argument that they offer in way of explaining why they are in Manchuria, would be even more true if applied to the Chinese cause. "For instance," he explained, "the Japanese say they need the territory for over-population. But if the Japanese need if, then the Chinese need it twice as much."