Brewers or Bootleggers

THE MAIL

(Ed. Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions, at the request of the writer will names be with-held.)

If the aims of prohibitionists were as high as Professor Carver suggests in the CRIMSON of November 19, there would be no need for an organization such as the Crusaders. His point is well taken when he mentions the 32 breweries supporting the Association against the Prohibition Amendment in 1928, but he seems to overlook the fact that prohibition is supported by rum-runners, bootleggers, gangsters, whose "success" in life depends upon the Eighteenth Amendment, as well as by those who honestly believe that prohibition is the right thing.

Our society has not evolved sufficiently to have reached that ideal state when people support views entirely with unselfish motives--like the mechanical society which the ants have developed--but I maintain that the views backed by the Crusaders are fully as unselfish and a great deal more constructive than those of the so-called Drys, who support a measure which time has proved to be a failure.

The "remaining third" of the nation who are wondering which way to turn should be guided by their own best judgment. Prohibition in its present form cannot be enforced, and we can do no harm in adopting the constructive measures that the Crusaders advocate, in a true effort to better the situation--if not to solve this great problem completely. W. E. Putnam, III '32.