REVERSION TO OLD PLAN IS INDICATED BY NEW FIGURES

New England States Register 514 Out of 964 Admissions--England Sends Three Candidates

Of the 964 freshmen admitted to Harvard this year, more than half are from onside the state of Massachusetts, according to the statistics complied annually by the Committee on Admissions. The New England states together have sent a total of 614 men, while the Middle Atlantic after are second with 269. The figures for the other sections of the country are North Central 109; Western, 23; South Atlantic, 22, South Central 10.

Seven foreign countries are represented in the Class of 1936, three men coming from England and one from Switzer-land,-Guatemala, Abyssinia, Brazil, Java, and China, respectively. This number shows a decrease of two from last year. Hawaii, Porto Rico the Philippines, and Cuba are also represented.

Approximately 45 per cent of the class came in under the Old plan of College Board Examinations, 40 per cent under the New Plan, and the remaining 15 per cent under the Highest Seventh Plan This indicates a decided reversion to the original plan of spreading the College Board examinations over a period of years and stands in contrast to the situation last year when the New Plan was more popular by 100 candidates. It is the policy of the College to advise high and preparatory school students to center by the New Plan and to discourage especially the use of the Highest Seventh Plan.

Private schools retain their lead over public schools in the number of men admitted but merely by a margin of less than 10 per cent. The percentage of candidates from public schools who were refused is greater than that for private institutions. On the other hand, over 93 per cent of those admitted under the Highest Seventh Plan were from high schools.