NORMAN THOMAS TALKS BEFORE LIBERAL CLUB

IS PRINCETON GRADUATE AND PAST CANDIDATE FOR PRESIDENT

Norman Thomas, executive director of the League for Industrial Democracy, and former Socialist candidate for president in 1928, will address the Liberal Club at the second meeting of the season, on "Roots of War in Economic Injustice," in the Lowell House common Room, Tuesday afternoon at 1.30 o'clock.

Mr. Thomas, who is an alumnus of Princeton, has been in recent years a Socialist candidate for United States senator, mayor of New York City, and just this fall ran for borough president of Manhattan.

At a meeting Tuesday, which is to be preceded by a luncheon for members. Mr. Thomas will make clear the relation between capitalism, imperialism, and war, as the Socialists feel that there is a very strong tendency towards war, due to capitalism. Such a trend may possibly be curbed, but probably cannot be eliminated as long as capitalism remains in practice in a large number of countries throughout the world.

As a graduate of the Union Theological Seminary, Mr. Thomas later became a minister of the Brick Presbyterian Church in New York, but resigned during the war to serve successively as secretary of the Fellowship of Reconciliation, editor of The World Tomorrow, and associate editor of The Nation.

In 1917, when the Socialist party took a stand against war, and consequently brought down upon its head the powers of governmental prosecution, Mr. Thomas joined the party, and stood by the principles of the working class at a time when it was considered dangerous to do so.