HOW ABOUT CHESS?

The idea of building a permanent home for the Debating Council is not without its merits. Such a building would act as an impetus for college debating, and it would put that activity on "a firm and lasting basis". Another important advantage is that it would create a social atmosphere, something that should be a part of any undergraduate activity. It would supply work rooms, and a lecture hall, both of which are necessary for debating.

However, as worthy as the cause of debating may be, there are a great many others whose needs are more pressing. For instance, Harvard is noticeably deficient in modern class room buildings; and although one former debater testifies that he received more from his work on the debating team than from all his courses together, class rooms are of more universal importance. There seems little reason why the Debating Council should have a whole building to itself. At present there are sufficient lecture halls about the University which the Debating Team can use. Since for each debate an altogether different set of reference books are necessary, a library except for the most general purposes would be out of the question. One or two rooms should be sufficient for the purpose.