WOMEN WITHOUT MEN

The women no longer has to pay, she has offered to. A group of young ladies from Southern California are out to buy masculine scalps for which they are willing toupee. They are willing to supply the entire funds for the company of a perfect man during the evening. If he rates fifty percent in their estimation, he must perforce pay half. The lower in their esteem the male falls, "the greater share he must foot." In other words, he must toe the mark.

The girls have set up a chart to which the boys must conform. Intelligence counts twenty points, the highest. The ability to understand the word "no" counts five percent, the lowest. Which all boils down to the fact that a young man can be ninety-five percent perfect and have a pretty good time for a dime.

Social poise is also five percent which, in all fairness, seems a bit low. After all there isn't much fun in going out if you haven't social boys. But at that the idea is not a bad one. For a long time men have been forced to do their own choosing and their own paying. It will come to the women, after this sort of thing has gone on for a while, that it is not so easy to find the perfect being and to pay for it once you have it. And if this goes on for some time, someone will probably set up a Volstead Act prohibiting any girl from going out with a boy whose physical fitness is more than ten percent he might be too intoxicating.