HARKNESS AT EXETER

The editorial reprinted from the Exonian in an adjoining column is significant in two respects. In the first place if commends the effort of the new plan to give the individual more contacts. Secondly it claims auccean for the smaller classes and the increase in discussion which the Harkness fund has made possible.

It is true that graduates of Exeter seldom have difficulty in getting along with their fellow students when they come to college. But this fact does not prove that Exeter trains fellows to do this. The more logical solution is that only those boys go to Exeter who can mix easily in an institution which reaches the proportions of a college. With this new plan Exeter may be opened to all types and may really train the students in making contacts.

Contrary to this first point the second one shows a tendency to make Exeter more like a college. On the other hand it is similar in that it is an effort to make the jump from preparatory school easier. Discussion groups are an effective means of training the student to think for himself. It is the inability to do this that is largely influential in making the Freshman year so hard for many men.

The fact that student opinion seems to be behind this new plan speaks well for it. Logic prophesies that its results will bring forth greater praise.