H.A.A. INCOME DROPS $160,000 IN FISCAL YEAR ENDED IN JUNE

Allowed by Large Decrease in Spending On Permanent Improvements--Total Income Over $1,000,000

A decrease of $160,000 in the net receipts of the Harvard Athletic Association, in the fiscal year ending June 30, 1931, over the income of the preceding 12 months was revealed yesterday in the financial report of the H. A. A. in spite of this lessened income, the finances of the association show a surplus of $50,552.35 due mainly to a decrease in the guarantees paid to visiting teams and to marked lowering of the sum spent on permanent improvements.

As usual, football was the only sport which paid its own expenses. From this source the H. A. A. took in $613,211.17 or about 57 per cent of the total income. All major sports showed a decrease in receipts compared with last year except crew which exceeded by $700 its income of the previous year.

Lower Cost of Improvements

The total income of the H. A. A. for the period covered by the report was $1,071,498.66. Of this sum, the amount available for athletics and physical education, after the guarantees paid to visiting teams has been deducted, was $778,220.97. The sum spent on permanent improvements was only $28,208, a striking decrease from the $226,579 spent for the same purpose in the preceding 12 months.

With the operation of the new Indoor Athletic Building, the Costs of maintenance showed an increase. The gymnasium and the swimming pool were the principle factors contributing to this rise. Another item which caused an increase in expenditures was the new Dillon Field House, which was put in operation during the time covered in the report.

Increase Intramural Coats

The move for increased activity in intramural sports contributed to an increase of $20,000 in the cost of minor sports teams and physical education. The total expenditure for this purpose was $148,543.48, which was second only to the amount spent on maintenance and operation of athletic buildings and grounds.

Drop in Team Expenses

Team expenses in major sports showed a slight average drop. Slight rises in the expenses of University crew and hockey were more than offset by a decrease of nearly $20,000 in the amount spent on baseball, football, and track