CRIMSON BEGINS COMPETITIONS AT MEETING TONIGHT

Members of 1938 Compete for Business, Editorial Boards -- All Competitions Last Eight Weeks

Tonight at 7.15 o'clock, the Harvard CRIMSON will open four competitions to members of the Freshman and Sophomore classes; first year men will be eligible for the News, Business and Photographic boards of the paper, while Sophomores may compete for the Business and Editorial boards. The length of the competitions will be eight weeks, instead of nine as in previous years.

At tonight's meeting, which will be held in the President's office of the CRIMSON building, at 14 Plympton Street, the assembled candidates will be addressed by E. L. Belisle '31, president of the CRIMSON; after his brief talk, the mechanics of the various boards will be explained by the departmental heads.

News Department

The 1934 candidates for the News department spend most of their time gathering and writing news for the columns of the CRIMSON. During the first week of the news competition, the work will be light, being devoted mostly to learning fundamentals of newspaper style, and discovering the chief routine sources of news.

Freshman and Sophomore candidates for the Business department become acquainted with business methods, and learn the intricacies of newspaper advertising. Besides procuring advertisements, there is a certain quantity of interesting routine work to be done. 1934 Photographic board candidates spend their time taking photographs of persons and events of interest to Harvard readers; the CRIMSON supplies cameras and equipment for developing and printing the pictures. Sophomore candidates for the Editorial board will be required to write one editorial a day during the competition.