Freshman and Minor Sports Active in Weekend Contests After the Prolonged Mid-year Lay-off

Howard Will Deliver Address in Fogg Art Museum at 3 O'Clock--Illustrated Talk Open to Public

There will be an informal talk given by R. E. Howard '24 on "Restoration and Forgery of Paintings" in the Fogg Art Museum tomorrow at 3 o'clock. The lecture is one of a series by the members of Professor Sachs' graduate course "Museum Works and Museum Problems," and it is open to the public.

The talk will be given on the second floor of the museum, and it will use the paintings in the permanent exhibition there as examples of restoration. There are two distinct methods of restoring a picture, one is by merely covering the blank spaces with flat color, without attempting to reconstruct the detail, and the other is by trying to paint the picture as it was in the original, before mutilation. Examples of both types will be shown and explained in the talk.

Among others is one painting that Illustrates forgery in restoration. This was restored by a painter used Caving, who not only tried to reproduce the color and detail of the original; but tried also to imitate the racks of age occurring in the rest of the picture. The lecture will show the various methods of discovering these forgeries.