BASEBALL DINNER SET FOR TONIGHT

First Meeting of Squad to be Held on February 24--Freshmen to Report Following Week

The annual dinner of the University baseball team will take place tonight at the Varsity Club at 6.30 o'clock. Alumni who played during the last ten years and undergraduate players will attend.

This dinner will mark the opening of the present season. On Tuesday, February 24, all candidates will be called out for the first meeting of the squad. The battery men will commence practice on that day, the University infielders a week later, and all Freshman candidates the following week. The Sophomore managerial competition will start Friday, February 20.

To Award Bat and Cup

At the dinner tonight, there will be awarded the Wendell Bat and Wingate Cup, the former given to the man who played best on the offense during the preceding season, and the latter to the best all-around player.

The award of the Wendell Bat is figured upon the number of times the winner reached first base, the number of stolen bases, total runs and sacrifice hits. The Wingate Cup is also figured on the foregoing plus the total bases made and the fielding average.

Last year the Wendell Bat was awarded to E. H. McGrath '31, captain of this year's nine, and T. W. Gilligan '31 was declared the recipient of the Wingate Trophy. In the 1929 season Gilligan played in the outfield and also caught; while McCrath covered the position of shortstop. Both these men are back this year.