THE TORCH

With the nearing completion of the addition to the Jefferson Physical Laboratory, Physics at Harvard will enter a new phase of its development. In recent years science departments in the University have made rapid strides to ward the provision of adequate equipment for research purposes. Physics may now take its place along side of Chemistry as one of the highly advanced scientific departments.

This encouragement of research should have a stimulating effect upon the development of undergraduate courses. The research results of one year are the undergraduate subjects of the next. The close association of graduate work with undergraduate courses will aid greatly in maintaining a high standard in the undergraduate courses will aid greatly in maintaining a high standard in the undergraduate curriculum. It will provide a constant flow of new thought from the advanced student to his more elementary colleague.

The goal toward which every science course must aim is the development of individual thought. This is more essential for Physics than for any other science, for Physics is still a mere handful of facts among a multitude of theories. The beginner must be impressed that he is studying the thoughts of others with the view in mind not of learning facts, for most Physics is yet unproven, but of learning to think independently. A fine graduate department closely allied with the undergraduate body will greatly help in laying the foundations of this spirit and ability for individual thought.