LOGICAL RIVALS

An editorial from The Dartmouth reprinted in yesterday's CRIMSON suggests the creation of a virtual big six in intercollegiate football. While the Hanover editors doubtless put forth their plan simply as an interesting speculation, it nevertheless merits more than passing comment from the universities included. A combination of Cornell, Columbia, and Dartmouth plus the old triumvirate, Yale, Princeton, and Harvard should have considerable popular support. In Cambridge such a proposal would doubtless meet a mixed fate.

Harvard athletic policy is unquestionably opposed to the participation of the University in athletic leagues of any sort and all contests are scheduled independently. Accordingly, the actual formation of a big six including Harvard is highly improbable. But this does not mean that the fundamental idea behind The Dartmouth editorial is without its appeal to Harvard men.

The proposal of a big six has as a basis a recognition of the common interests of the six universities mentioned, and for Harvard to schedule football games with all five is greatly to be desired. Cornell, Princeton and Columbia are among Harvard's logical athletic rivals. Especially true is the desire to meet Columbia and Cornell whose academic connections with Harvard are so seldom supplemented on the athletic field. The reasons for playing them are similar to those for meeting Yale, Dartmouth, and Brown.

If games could be arranged with the universities suggested by The Dartmouth without interrupting the occasional home and home agreements with distant opponents, undergraduate support would not be lacking. One could go further and add to the list Amherst and Williams; for natural rivals provoke far more student interest than somewhat artificial ones such as Army.