Is Virility Necessary?

THE PRESS

Two interesting sidelights on college life outside the United States were brought out by news dispatches yesterday, and after reading them, one stops to wonder if the American college youth is such a virile animal, after all.

In Mexico City, a National University freshman objected to sophomore discipline by fleeing from second-year men who were shaving his head. One of the disciplinary crew drew a pistol and calmly shot the freshman in the leg. Today, the news story states, university officials "are considering prohibiting all carrying of pistols by students save by special permit."

The old grads who moan about the Stanford rough of the good old days might do well to rack their brains and decide whether the rough of naughty-naught was as hard-boiled as some of Mexico's sophomores.

The other angle was a brought to light in London, where a famous Oxford oarsman, who for many years was a rowing coach in this country, declared that the drinking athlete would beat the teetotaller every time. The statement was made in answer to Lady Astor's pronouncement in the House of Commons that England was losing on the cricket field because her players drank.

"In my own experience as an oarsman, over 28 years," the coach said. "I was never beaten by a teetotaller, and I drank all the alcohol, wine and beer I could buy, beg or borrow."

Such is life in Merrie England, but can you picture the star halfback rushing up to the bar and exclaiming. "A pint of stout, my man, and make it fast; I must go out and die for dear old Rutgers"? The Stanford Daily.