OKLAHOMA DEBATERS ARE TO ARGUE WITH HARVARD

EFFECT OF CHAIN STORE SUBJECT OF CONTROVERSY

Meeting the University of Oklahoma debating team Wednesday night at 8 o'clock in the Fogg Lecture Room, a Harvard Debating Council team will argue the affirmative side of the question, "Resolved: That the chain store system is detrimental to the best interests of the American people".

The two students debating for Harvard are G. F. Oest '33 and R. M. Alt '32. Taking the negative side of the question for Oklahoma are George Copeland and Hicks Epton. Accompanying them is their coach Walter Emery.

An invasion of the East by a western debating team presents a novel thing. Usually an eastern college sends a team on a circle, taking in the principal western schools. However, the Oklahoma team was so successful on its California trip last year, winning eight out of ten debates, that it determined to attempt an extensive invasion of the East. Harvard is the ninth opponent for the Westerners.

O. G. Kulp 4G is coaching the Harvard debaters. He has debated with both of the Oklahoma speakers, being a graduate of the University of Oklahoma. Thus he has a close knowledge of the visitors and their technique. A great effort is being made by the coach and the two members of the Harvard team to prepare an argument which will defeat one of the best debating teams in the West.