LIST REQUIREMENTS FOR CONCENTRATION IN NEW DEPARTMENT

First-year Men Will Not Ordinarily be Able to Enroll in Classes--Will Give 16 Courses in All

Requirements for concentration leading to an A.B. degree in Sociology, a new division open to undergraduates and graduates announced last week, were made known yesterday. They will consist of seven full courses, of which five must be from the Department itself, one from a list of-selected prerequisites, and one from courses in other Departments closely related to Sociology.

For a Ph.D. degree the candidate will, in addition to submitting a thesis, be examined on four or more approved fields of study, including his special field, and will also undergo an examination in sociological theory. He will have to submit satisfactory grades in two additional fields. An M.A. degree will be given for passing the requirements of the Ph.D. rating, but no thesis will be required.

Not Open to Freshmen

There is no course in the new Department ordinarily open to Freshmen. The introductory course, a discussion of contemporary sociological theories will be taught by Professor Pitirim Sorokin, recently made Chairman of the Department, Dr. C. S. Joslyn '20, and Dr. Talcott Parsons. Undergraduates will be able to apply for a series of 16 other courses, only one of which, the most advanced, requires the knowledge of any previous course.

Some of these courses have been given before under other fields. Most of these will be rearranged to bear more closely on theoretical social studies, but a few will be taught as before. Professor R. C. Cabot '89 will give his lectures on Human Relations much as in previous years. Professor T. N. Carver will deliver an entirely new course on Social Evolution and Social Progress. New courses are planned on rural sociology, animal sociology, family ethics, and on experimental sociology. At present the lectures for these courses have not all been arranged, as it is hoped to get some scholars from other universities to give them, nor will all the courses be given in the coming academic year, three at least having been reserved for the next autumn.

There will be no set courses organized especially for graduate students.