Sharpe Finds Number of Applicants for Student Employment Substantially Increased and Number of Jobs Has Decreased

Returning from a trip to the employment offices of Yale and Columbia, R. T. Sharpe '28, acting secretary for student employment, declared yesterday that conditions were practically the same as here. There is a substantial increase in the number of applicants and a corresponding decrease in the jobs available.

City employment committees have cut in on the number of jobs to be found there much as they have here. This same condition extends into other fields; for example, the United States post offices were ordered not to hire unmarried men for the Christmas rush, whereas in the past a large number of college men were always taken on.

In regards to the question of a possibility of the college men cutting in on the men who had to support a family. Columbia and Yale have taken a stand similar to that of Harvard. Sharpe made a very definite statement about the stand of the University employment office on this question. "We are not trying to secure positions in any field which would legitimately belong to the unskilled laborer." This principle is adopted because the college man has only to get along, while the working man must support others.

In selecting applicants for the various positions, this summer, the employment office will have to give first consideration to the financial need of the student. However, the student's qualification for quisite, the position remains a fundamental re-

Practically all employers are lowering the wages which they will pay this year as compared to last year. The largest cuts have come in the salaries paid to tutor-companions, since they have always received the highest wages. Only in the fields, in which an absolute minimum salary already has been paid, has there been no attempt at reducing the summer's remuneration.