Live and Learn

Last year Princeton inaugurated a policy in the Eastern Intercollegiate Baseball League providing that coaches be removed from the players' bench during the course of games and that direction of the contests be left in the hands of the team captain. The object of this innovation, according to a statement by Dr. Kennedy, was the "development of initiative self-dependence and resourcefulness in meeting the problems that arise in games." The spirit which prompted such a policy is worthy of highest commendation. The theory of the plan, at the time of its origin, evoked considerable praise from all quarters, but as the system worked out in practice last spring it evinced certain shortcomings.

The weightiest argument to be considered in an appraisal of this policy is the fact that the players--those who are directly affected--expressed dissatisfaction with the plan. Toward the close of the season last spring, criticism of the system was forthcoming from a large number of the players in virtually all the institutions which had adopted the policy. The complaints were based principally on two points. First, it was felt that the whole team lost a chance to have its mistakes called profitably to its attention and its play improved, while one man, the captain, received experience in initiative and resourcefulness. Moreover, the captain, having to direct the game and play ball simultaneously, was greatly overburdened.

This policy has not measured up to expectations. It has fostered initiative and leadership only to a very limited extent. Harvard, after experimenting with this plan last year, has dispensed with it this season. We too question the advisability of the policy in view of the limited and debatable benefits it confers, and feel that a return of the coach to the bench might be of greater advantage to the players. --Daily Princetonian.