PARTING OF THE WAYS

Revolution in India is pursuing a troubled course. In addition to the opposition afforded by Great Britain the revolutionists are finding trouble in their own ranks. Liberals and extremists are divided on the question of acceptance of the pact made by Gandhi with the British government. The Mahatma was attacked recently on his way to the meeting of the Nationalist Congress by members of the New Youth of India League, a radical organization which declares that Gandhi is no longer India's real leader having compromised with England.

The incident although comparatively unimportant in itself, shows that Gandhi's policy of moderation is no longer enough for all the members of his party. At the coming Congress Gandhi will face a crisis in his career as nationalist leader. If he can command the gathering, the present movement will probably go no further than the recent compromise with Great Britain; if the Congress gets out of his control, the revolutionists will probably stand out for complete independence. The fate of India may seem of little importance at this distance, but the course of the next few days may be of great importance to the Empire of Great Britain with which the United States is, and has been, so closely connected.