An Ice Question

THE MAIL

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

There is a general sentiment among those who have played hockey and would like to continue to develop their interest in this sport, that the college is not providing the facilities to allow an appreciable number to participate in the game. Hockey is supposedly a major sport, yet there are a scant sixty members of the university who are getting regular experience in this event. Compare this number with any other sport, football, baseball or even the recognized minor sports, squash, swimming, and wrestling for example. The entrants in each of these far exceeds the few represented in hockey.

The situation of the hockey enthusiasts has been realized. In the annual report on athletics the need for a skating rink in Cambridge was emphasized. Formerly the Freshmen were given the opportunity to play interdormitory hockey, but this has been given up. We are told that, owing to adverse weather conditions, it was impractical to attempt to maintain a rink out of doors. Whether this is true or not, a rink was provided on Soldiers Field for many years. In fact there have been several cases of interdormitory players who have advanced to the varsity.

With the present system Harvard cannot hope to develop players; it is simply using the material that it is given. The sport has a large following, and it seems absurd that the lack of facilities should so hamper the development of the game and enjoyment in it. H. C. Thacher '84