Paintings by Rembrandt, Franz Hals, and Murillo, are Included Among Naumberg Gifts on Display at Fogg

"Portrait of an Old Man" is Probably Best Known of Pictures

Several outstanding works of art, the gifts of the late Mrs. Aaron Naumberg of New York, are now on exhibition at the Fogg Museum. Four of these paintings, shown on this page, from the bulk of the collection of paintings included in the legacy.

The Naumberg gift included, in addition to furniture, textiles, and objets d'art-and the painting-, three rooms, which are to be installed in a wing of the Museum at some later date. The paintings are on display now; the rooms themselves are in storage.

Probably the best known painting in the collection is the "Portrait of an Old Man," ascribed to Rembrandt, which hung for over a hundred years in the palace of the Duke of Oldenburg, whose collection was partially dispersed after the war. It is known to have been there as early as 1823. It is a powerful work in an excellent state of preservation. The cool tones of the background, the definite outline, and comparatively smooth handling would all tend to place it in Rembrandt's early years.

The "Holy Family" of Murillo a fine picture in excellent condition, is first recorded in the possession of Admiral Eliab Harvey, who commanded the "Temeraire" at the Battle of Trafalgar. Its composition closely, though not exactly, resembles one by the same artist in the Wallace Collection, but is a finer work.

The "Portrait of a Preacher" by Fanz Hals, dating from his middle period, and signed with the painter's monogram, was first published two years ago by Dr. Valentiner. A seal on the back indicates that it was formerly in the collection of King Stanislas, the last King of Poland, who died in 1790. It had been lost sight of entirely until its recent appearance.

The "Madonna and Child" of Lorenzo di Credi, an Italian artist whose dates are 1450-1537, is shown in its cleaned state.

"Other paintings of importance in the bequest, not shown here, are the "Portrait of a Lady," attributed to Peter Paul Rubens, and a small canvas of EI Grceo's, "Christ Driving the Money-Changers From the Temples," a favorite subject, of which there are at least nine versions, by the painter or his immediate followers, three others being now in America. There is also a large Flemish tapestry, dating from about 1600.