BRIDGING THE GAP

With the proposal by the Harvard Dental School of a graduate educational service to provide up-to-date information on dental matters, the university is filling in one more gap in its educational structure. The Dental School's proposal is in line with the university's policy of establishing a closer and more lasting connection with the graduate's professional career.

Specialization today entails a last minute knowledge of one's subject and the graduate schools as research centers should supply the need. Particularly is this true of the scientific schools such as those of medicine and engineering. But if the Dental School is to function adequately as a professional information center, it must have sufficient financial support to provide for the necessary research. President Lowell in his annual report stated that the school needed an endowment of five million dollars. The school in the past has been chiefly supported by the devoted and underpaid labor of part-time teachers. This proposed increase in the Dental School's activities should logically bring with it some increase in financial support.