HARVARD SECOND IN I.C.A.A.A.A. MEET

Pennsylvania Lowers Harvard's World Record by Almost Three Seconds--Record Wins 70-yard Hurdles

Harvard gained second place ni the I. C. 4A. Indoor Track Meet last Saturday in New York. The Crimson entrants ran up a score of 19 points, while Pennsylvania won the meet with a total of 38 1-10.

Record placed first in the 70-yard high hurdles with Hawes and Watkins coming in second and third respectively in the 70-yard dash. Record won a close race, being pushed to his limit by Arthur Devoe of Yale. His time was 8 7-10 seconds. Hawes' placing ahead of Watkins came somewhat as a surprise to Harvard, inasmuch as it was expected that the latter would win the event. Kelly of Georgetown won the dash in 7 1-10 seconds, equalling the meet record made in 1923 by Harold Lever of Pennsylvania. Estes gained third honors in the one mile run, which was won by Carl Coan of Pennsylvania, Bullwinkle of City College of New York placing second. Coan set a new intercollegiate indoor record of 4 minutes 15 1-5 seconds. The former mark was 4 minutes 17 4-5 seconds, set in 1923 by James Connelly of Georgetown.

Harvard's two mile relay team placed third in its event, which was won by Boston College in 7 minutes 50 3-5 seconds. The Crimson quartet was composed of Pearson, Fobes, Cobb, and Wesley. The one mile relay was a fast race from start to finish, as the new record indicates. The time set by Pennsylvania is nearly three seconds less than the record made last year by the Harvard relay runners. The injury to Captain Munroe in the H-D-C track meet on February 21 and subsequent changes made in the quartet have lessened crimson chances in that event until the new team can be given a chance to break into its stride.

Definite decision regarding the holding of the 1932 I. C. 4A. outdoor championships in California has been reserved as the Princeton athletic authorities still remain opposed to the move, although it has received almost unanimous support from the other competing colleges.