NEW MENACE

Mr. Robert H. Lucas, executive director of the Republican National Committee, in the words of the Nation, "finds it well-nigh impossible to make good traditional Republicans out of young persons infected with the heresies of university theorists." The only solution he can offer to this ever-increasing problem, which is presented in the accompanying press clipping, is to lead American youth to citizenship in some new and hitherto undiscovered fashion, entirely independent, of the evils of education.

Universities have always been seething centers of revolt from the established system, however, and this situation is not to be taken too seriously. Even if teachers and instructors are all radicals and socialists, they are not always able to convince their listeners, while the textbooks, which are so tainted with the principles and theories of the Reds, are rarely studied with the understanding necessary to realize more than the minimum knowledge necessary for satisfactory grades. In all events, no matter what the political convictions of most undergraduate groups, there is certain to be enough dissent to prevent the possibility of universities' graduating a working majority of Democrats.