"Echo Answers ..."

THE PRESS

It is proposed that the projected Harvard University war memorial commemorate the Harvard men who died in the service of the Central Powers as well as those who died in the service of the Allies. It is estimated that about twenty Harvard men fought in the forces of Germany, Austria, Bulgaria, or Turkey.

That such a proposal can be considered seriously and without tumult is an impressive indication of the distance we have traveled in the last dozen years. The World War is now definitely something of the past. If as yet we cannot discuss it with complete detachment, we can come quite close to doing so. The bitterness and hatred of those insane days have largely abated Witness Count Von Luckner's reception here in Worcester the other evening, a friendly reception not unmixed with admiration. Ten or eleven years ago we wouldn't give much for the count's chances of preserving his tranquillity of soul on the Mechanics Hall platform.

Those of liberal mind must hope that the suggestion regarding the Harvard memorial will be adopted, as doubtless it will. The university was foster-mother to all of its boys, regardless of the uniform they were wearing when the end came. Enemies they may have been on the battlefield, but they were friends in the Yard. It is meet that Harvard in its memorial chapel take cognizance of this aspect above all others. Worcester Telegram.