MEIKLEJOHN TO TELL OF EXPERIMENTAL COLLEGE

FORMER AMHERST PRESIDENT A LEADER IN EDUCATION

Professor Alexander Meiklejohn of the University of Wisconsin will be the Liberal Club speaker at 8 o'clock in Emerson D. Professor Meiklejohn, who is at present Chairman of the Experimental College at Wisconsin, will speak on "Experimental Education." The lecture will be open to all members of the University.

A graduate of Brown, who received his Ph.D. at Cornell, Meiklejohn returned to Brown to teach in 1897, and became Dean in 1901. For 12 years, from 1912 to 1924, he was President of Amherst College, and since 1926 he has been professor of Philosophy and head of the Experimental College at Wisconsin. Professor Meiklejohn is considered one of the leaders of intellectual life in America, and his position in the University of Wisconsin makes him peculiarly qualified to speak on experimental education.

Wisconsin an Experimental College

The school of which Meiklejohn is the head at Wisconsin is an experiment conducted for the first two college years of men who wish to enter the school. For the freshman year, men do nothing but study the ancient Greek civilization and philosophy in all its phases, and in their next year they make a study of modern civilization, with an idea of comparing the two. Junior and Senior years are spent in the college proper. This year the board of trustees of Wisconsin voted to discontinue the school for the present freshman class, and its future is undecided. Professor Meiklejohn will probably speak on the work of the experimental school and discuss its success or failure. Other experiments in college education will also be brought up in the lecture.