NORDAL SUCCEEDS HIND NEXT YEAR AS NORTON PROFESSOR

Follows Recent Gift of Collection of Icelandic Literature to Library--To be Fifth Incumbent of Chair

Sigurthur Nordal, Professor of Icelandic Literature at the University of Iceland at Reykjavik, scholar and poet, will come to Harvard for the academic year 1931-32 as the fifth incumbent of the Charles Eliot Norton Professorship of Poetry. He will succeed the Norton Professor for the current academic year, Arthur Mayger Hind, of the British Museum, formerly Slade Professor of Fine Art at Oxford.

The appointment of Professor Nordal comes at a particularly opportune moment, following as it does close upon the announcement of the gift of a notable collection of Icelandic Literature to the University Library by Mrs. William H. Schofield of Peterborough, New Hampshire. The presentation was made by Mrs. Schofield on April 6, the birthday of her husband, Professor Schofield, late Chairman of the Department of Comparative Literature at Harvard.

Largest Icelandic Library

The collection which bears Professor Schofield's name was the largest private library in Iceland, and was purchased directly from its former owner, Kristjan Kristjansson, a merchant of Reykjavik, who had spent many years gathering it. It contains works both of mediaeval and of modern literature but is particularly rich in the modern field.

The Norton Professorship of Poetry was endowed by the late C. C. Stillman '98, in memory of Professor Charles Eliot Norton. By the terms of the endowment, the incumbents are to be chosen, without limits of nationality, from men of high distinction and preferably of international reputation. In the administration of the gift, the term "poetry" is to be interpreted in its broadest sense, including, together with verse, all poetic expression in language, Music, or the fine arts, under which term architecture may be included.