ALUMNI STARS WIN 9 TO 8 FROM UNIVERSITY NINE

MAYS, McGRATH WOOD ABSENT FOR EXAMS

Despite an eight-run lead going into the end of the seventh inning, if took the Harvard Alumni, composed of five former captains and the assistant dean of the Freshman Class among others, twelve innings to beat the University nine into submission yesterday afternoon with a 9 to 8 score.

With Captain McGrath, Wood, and Mays, absent because of examinations, a patchwork Harvard team looked anything but impressive for six innings, when against the masterly pitching of F. B. Cutts '58, who had defeated them. 7 to 2 in the annual affair last year. While his teammates collected eight runs, a homer by Sullivan in the second, another in the fifth, and two more on Chauncey's single in the sixth, and a total of four in the seventh when they batted around, Cutts allowed the Harvard team but three scattered hits. He weakened in the seventh and eighth to allow Harvard four runs per inning, but weathered the hard going to win in the twelfth.

Eleven Harvard men were accounted for by strikeouts. Ticknor pitched for the losers, his wildness allowing eleven free passes to first, until he was replaced by Page. Sullivan of the alumni was spiked while throwing out a man at second and left the game. He was replaced by Rex, who was instrumental

In defeating his teammates, sacrificing Todd to second, whence he easily scored on Chauncey's hit.

The box score:

ALUMNI  ab  r  h  po  a  eBurns, c.f.  4  0  0  2  0  0Nugent, 3b.  5  0  0  3  2  2Chase, 2b.  4  1  1  3  1  1Owen, 1b.  4  1  1  4  0  0E. Todd, v.f., 1b  3  0  1  5  0  0Donaghy, r.f., s.s.  4  1  1  2  1  0I. Todd, c.f.  5  2  1  4  0  0Sullivan, s.s.  4  3  2  0  1  0Chauncey, c.  3  1  2  13  3  1Cutts, p.  5  0  1  0  2  1Rev. r.f.  0  0  0  0  0  0Totals  41  9  10  36  10