CHOOSE DEBATERS FOR FRESHMAN H-Y-P MEET

THE SIX FRESHMEN WILL COMPETE FOR COOLIDGE PRIZE

Trials were held yesterday afternoon in Holden Chapel under the direction of C. F. Packard '20, professor of Public Speaking at Harvard, for the Coolidge award of $50, open only to Freshmen. Of the 18 men that tried out, 6 were chosen to compete Thursday afternoon for the Coolidge Prize. All these 6 will receive medals this year, for the first time, in addition to the man that wins the Prize.

These 6 men are D. J. Boorstin '34, George Gore '34, and A. B. Naughten '34; J. J. O'Donnell '34, S. M. Peyser '34, and A. E. Phillips '34. The first three men will debate against Yale in New Haven on Friday evening, with M. A. Hoffman '34 as alternate, taking the negative of the question, "Resolved, That colleges should limit their attendance to those of superior mental ability."

Judges Not Yet Chosen

The latter three, with Benjamin Ginsberg '34, as alternate, will debate on the affirmative side of the same subject, Saturday night in Holden Chapel against Princeton. The judges have not been chosen yet.

The debates with Brown on February 11, and with Exeter on March 4 are the only experience the Freshmen have had this year, the McGill date having been called off. The Freshmen lost the Brown debate by a 2 to 1 decision, but won the Exeter debate, which was on a similar subject as the Princeton and Yale debates, 2 to 0. Boorstin, O'Donnell and Hoffman argued in the Brown debate, while Phillips and Hoffman were on the Harvard team that defeated Exeter.