ART STUDENTS TO GIVE EXHIBITION OF DEGAS

Collection of Sketches and Finished Works Opens on Saturday--Famous Drawings Included

An exhibition of the pastels, drawings, and prints of Edgar Degas is being arranged by a group of Harvard and Radcliffe students to be held in the Fogg Art Museum. This exhibition which will be held from Saturday, May 9, to Saturday, May 30, is for the purpose of presenting the work of this artist in its various aspects, showing his range and versatility, but also affords an interesting opportunity to compare preliminary drawings with the finished work of the master.

Degas, who lived from 1834 to 1917, is known especially for his studies of dancers, for his realistic racing scenes, and for his mastery of design, although his carefully-composed portraits are of equal importance. The "Portrait of Jules Finot" and "Portrait of Diego Martelli" are excellent examples of this type of work.

Among the other items to be exhibited are both the drawing and the finished pastel of the "Portrait of a Woman"; his well-known painting, "The Laundresses", and a very early portrait. "An Old Italian Beggar Woman." A large, unfinished canvas, another "Woman at the Bath," will be placed on exhibition for the first time.