"Harvard Men .. Defending a Wrong"

THE PRESS

The World War must always be reckoned as the supreme crime against civilization and those responsible as the super criminals if future generations are to be benefitted as those who died expected they would be and such a crime is not repeated.

Unless the victorious Allies can be fully justified now they must be judged as murderers and brutal tyrants in enforcing their terms of peace. And they cannot be justified if it's admitted that the cause of the Central Powers was equally just. To give both sides of the issues equal value is to make the war nothing but a bloody pastime for those involved.

Those Harvard men who died fighting with the Allies helped win a great victory of right over wrong, else they died in vain. If war can ever prove anything it proves that the Harvard men who died with the Central Powers were defending a wrong for which they never should have taken up arms at all. Germany and her associated Powers were all wrong from the very start else the war they fought must be classed as wholesale murder.

Hence it is that the Harvard men who died with the Central Powers have no rights at their Alma Mater now and upon no possible basis can they be entitled to equal honor with those who died with the Allies. War is too brutal, too devastating and too idiotic to be so easily smoothed over as this. The only hope of the war generations in history is to justify their fighting by the results, and if there be no results, as there cannot be if all are now considered equal, their condemnation will be terrible.

War debts cannot be paid so easily as by considering all those who fought each other as brothers entitled to equal credit in their graves. Portland (Me.) Express.