Harvard-Yale Trackmen Look for Six First Places in Contest With English

Combined Team Sails July 1 for Oxford-Cambridge Meet at London on July 18

The combined Harvard-Yale track forces which sail for England on the George Washington July 1 with Stamford Bridge, London, as the objective, have high hopes of winning the first Crimson-Blue victory over the Oxford-Cambridge forces, on British soil since 1904. With Harvard supplying one former and two present intercollegiate champions, the combined team, under the direction of Coach Farrell and George Connors, Eli mentor, is rated strong enough to take first place in six events, with stiff competition anticipated all along the line.

Of the ten meets which have been contested since 1899 the Light and Dark Blue forces have won four; they have never achieved success in America, and only one of the Harvard-Yale victories, in 1904, has been gained on British cinders.

English Scoring System

The English system will be followed in scoring the meet. The team winning a majority of the twelve first places is declared winner; in the event of a tie, the meet goes to the team gaining the largest number of second places.

The Crimson and Blue are particularly strong in six of the events. Record, star of the Harvard-Yale meet and captain-elect, together with his erstwhile rival DeVoe and Fates, Eli leader for 1931-32, are expected to distance all competitors in the high and low hurdles. Cobb and Hallowell will partner in the half mile and mile. Since the series started, the Americans have won the mile run but once, with only two victories to their credit in the half mile. Both Sutermeister and Pierce, Eli freshman, have cleared the vaulting standards at 13 feet 6 inches. Kilcullen and Crowley, both recruits from this year's Blue first year team, can be counted on for 47 foot tosses of the iron ball.

Cambridge an 8 to 3 Winner

In a dual meet with Oxford this year Cambridge was an 8-3 victor. Times and distances on this occasion were not remarkable. Denison, cantabrigian three-miler, was clocked at only 15 minutes 7 8-5 seconds, while in a race on Saturday to determine the Harvard three-mile squad, Foote finished in 15 minutes and 3 seconds, followed by Fox in 15 minutes and 6 seconds, and Murphy ten seconds slower. Maybe and Price, of Oxford and Cambridge respectively, will partner with Denison.

Tisdall British Threat

Tisdall is the Berlinger of the English forces. Capable of doing under 49 seconds in the double furlong, and under 15 seconds in the high hurdles, he placed first also in the broad jump and high hurdles in the clash between the Light and Dark Blue; his shot put effort of 42 feet compares unfavorably with Kilcullen's tosses.

Wade of Cambridge should do close to 10 seconds in the double furlong, and Goodwillie, former Cornell star now an Oxonian, should be formidable in the furlong.

The complete make-up of the team, which will disband following the contest to participate individually in several European meets, is as follows: 100-yard dash--Young (Y) and Watkins; 220-yard dash, Boyd (Y) and Ingham (Y); 440-yard run, Dodge and Warner (Y); half mile and mile run, Hallowell, Estes, Cobb, and Fobes; three-mile run, Fox and Foote; high hurdles, Record and DeVoe (Y); low hurdles, Record and Fates (Y); pole vault, Sutermeister and Pierce (Y); high jump, Kuehn and Whiteside (Y); broad jump, Farrell (Y) and Morse; shot put, Kilcullen (Y) and Crowley (Y).