THE NEW COUNCIL

With the election of a new student representative group the 1930-31. Student Council of Harvard College has passed out of existence. That the new body is not representative goes without saying; that its personnel may contribute something to the College is definitely expected.

Next year's Student Council can do much that will be beneficial to Harvard. The future of the College is largely that of the House Plan, and in its growth and development will be mirrored the corresponding growth and development of undergraduate Harvard. As an Inter-House Council, the student group can, better than ever before, justify the reason for its establishment--to act as an intermediate body between students and faculty. The problems of 1931-32 will be peculiarly adapted to the functions of the Council, arising, as they will, from the latest undergraduate reform, the House Plan.

The work of the 1930-31 Council has been done quietly and unobtrusively, Committees have investigated problems of vital importance to the undergraduate; the largest and most comprehensive report is still to come, that on the tutorial system and the general examinations. Under the leadership of one of the ablest presidents a Harvard Student Council has over had, the group has shown that it is more than a subcommittee of the athletic council, a suspicion which had been increasing for several years.

The 1931-32 members have before them an opportunity of turning the retiring Council's theories into actualities, of carrying out a program which could necessarily only be indicated this year. They can do, if not revolutionary, at least sensible work on problems in which the undergraduate point of view can carry weight. If ever Harvard needed level-headed thinking behind its student action, it is in the first year of the seven Houses, and the Inter-House Council must furnish its share.