LOVE FOR SAIL

"Tex" and her "girls" are returning to America by slow boat after hammering vainly at the doors of France, England, Germany, Austria, ad probably the U. S. S. R., Italy, Spain, and other close mouthed countries as well. Had she applied for entrance to Romania, the comedy would have been complete, what with a king fond of sport, and a queen mother delighting in heroics.

Although French officials gave some thin excuse about "labor" contracts in refusing entrance to the happy little family of "nice girls", there is little doubt but that the real reason is connected with an episode on ship board when the "girls" and "Mother Tex" took off, and put on a spectacle of the Garden of Eden, after the Fall, for the anatomical edification of American plutocrats.

Montmartre is better of in not having to pretend to be shocked by the nude oddities of Broadway. Even if beauty is better bare, the "girls" might prove disappointing. And the men-. So the good dame Guinan and the "girls" will have lost only a point or two of culture. They will have gained publicity enough to assure them the position in the esteem of polite society which they would otherwise have had to earn for themselves by choice remarks about the Arc de Triomphe or the Ritz Bar, casual commentaries on the quality of Crevisses a in Nage at Pierre's.

But, as always, there is a little pathos in the sentimental farce. Could their steamer but cross the equator southward bound, what joy there would be for the "gobs" and the "girls" at the rites of Neptune, especially if that God of the damp and dripping should unmask and betray the broad, carmen grimace of "Tex".