COLLEGIATE

Many men who come to college for the first time come suddenly into a great legacy of responsibility. They are, for the period of their stay at college, their own masters in many respects. Not they are too often victims of the illusion that all one learns at college are the "three R's", Rah, Rah, and Rah. The unfortunate illusion grases in many pastures. Its richest fields are parenthood careless of the ways of youth and press careful of vice and sensation.

Harvard men have done away with all the ostensible mass manifestations of Rah, for such commotions have no place in a metropolitan community. A few ardent spirits warm to their illusion once in a while and make a few bows to Rah but they cease even to be funny when unwilling onlookers or passers by are involved. Even hazing long since has been given a one way ticket to somewhere. And the whole Harvard community seems the better for its absence. Jokes are jokes and horseplay is horseplay as long as the jokers and horses are gentlemen.

College is a sort of bank into which thousands, each year, invest four years of life. In the living at college something of the attention given a bank balance can be paid life itself and drafts and deposits must be made with the aim of maintaining the balance of gentlemen.