Ben Greet Comments Variously Between Puffs in Station Stroll With Reporter--Indignant at Closing Drama School

Strolling from one station to another while the company manager was busily checking baggage, Sir Philip Ben Greet, venerable actor and Shakesperian producer, commented on road conditions, university audiences, and the dissolution of the Cambridge School of the Drama in an exclusive interview with a CRIMSON representative on a short unherald visitation to Boston yesterday.

After inquiring about his friends at Harvard, especially Professor Murray and Professor Kittredge, and recalling his address to Professor Murray's class, he turned to a discussion of theatrical road conditions.

"They're the same here that they are at home, people holding on to their money so frightfully and causing all this depression we hear talked about. Still if they've got it at all they'll spend it for what they want. . . Look here! What d'you suppose they did in Texas. Listen to this, mind you. Just to spoil our business, and with the whole year in which to do their own, someone booked a Shakesperean company directly ahead of ours."

"Sounds like the Shuberts," murmured the interviewer sympathetically.

"But it wasn't the Shubert's, although it happened before they went under. But that's the gag on the road, you know. . . Not content with doing their own business. . .producers have to go out of their way to try and injure someone else's. Why is it like that? I don't know. I was my own manager for ten years in this country. I should know all about it.

"We've had splendid audiences at the Universities, sometimes turning hundreds away. Daniel Frohman came to see us in the Westchester County Recreation centre. You know his brother Charles, the chap who went down on the Titanic got me to first come to this country way back in 1906." Then suddenly, "See that girl there. . . She's Edith Mayor, neice of Miss Edythe Wynne Mathison. We starred her in "Everyman." He also pointed out Frederic Sargent, Russell Thorndike and Miss Llewellyn.

"Do you believe in the performing of Shakespeare in modern dress" asked the interviewer.

Sir Philip's loud snort of disgust answered the question before his torrent of denials. It was very evident that he did not.

"How is that School of the Drama at Harvard? You know I'm expecting some young men from the University for our "Julius Caesar."

When told that the School was on the verge of dissolution he almost barked the words "What? Impossible. But that must not happen. Tell 'em they've got to keep going. We can't have that!"

Sir Philip and his company will have a chance to judge of conditions at closer range when they come on the 19th for the performances of Julius Caesar.