EIGHTY-FIVE MEN SUPPORT SPRING FOOTBALL DRILL

Coaches Casey and Knox to Supervise Light Workouts--Object to Give Men Opportunity to Keep in Trim

The feeling that a certain amount of spring football practice, no matter how informal, was strongly desired by prospective candidates for the 1932 University football team, especially after the requests of many of last seasons players, lead C. B. Hageman '33, captain of the Crimson eleven, to call a meeting of all men interested in university football at the Varsity Club last night. A total of 85 students attended the meeting.

After a short talk by Coach E. L. Casey '19, explaining the present ruling of having no formal spring football practice, Captain Hageman invited all men interested in the sport to meet informally at the Briggs Cage on Monday afternoons from 4 until 5 o'clock, starting next week.

Captain Hageman announced further that the light practice sessions would be directed by Coaches Casey and Knox, and possibly other members of Harvard's coaching staff. When it was first suggested that such work-outs should be held, the team planned on doing without the help of the coaches, so as to give a most informal atmosphere to the meetings. So many football men, members of the University squad of last fall, and many Jayvee and Freshman players answered the invitations to last nights meeting, however, and signified their intention to come out for practice, that the coaches were requested to give their services.

The fact that many of the football candidates will participate in some sport on Soldiers Field nearly every day next spring should make it easy for them to report for the weekly practice hour, it was felt, so that these gatherings would not be overemphasizing the sport.

There will be no scrimmage or other strenuous work-outs, the training consisting mostly of passing, signal drills on the basic plays, kicking practice, and occasionally some basketball games to keep the men in trim. Football shoes will be the only equipment given out.