THORNDIKE NAMED NEW SURGEON FOR SOLDIERS FIELD

New Physician for Harvard Athletes a Boston Man--To Serve With Hygiene Department

Augustus Thorndike, Jr. '17 will succeed Dr. T. K. Richards '15, for ten years surgeon in charge of athletics on Soldiers Field, whose resignation, to take effect at the close of this year's baseball season, was announced in September. Dr. Thorndike, whose appointment has not been officially announced, will serve as a surgeon under the Department of Hygiene, it has been learned from reliable sources, and it is expected that supervision of the medical work in connection with Soldiers Field will be shifted from the H.A.A. to that department.

Dr. Thorndike, who has been practicing in Boston, was graduated from the Medical School in 1921. He is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons, of the Massachusetts Society, and of the American Medical Association, as well as an assistant surgeon at the Children's Hospital and the Milton Hospital, and an assistant in surgery at the Medical School. His medical publications include numerous contributions to the Boston Medical and Surgical Journal, the New England Journal of Medicine, and a paper read before a Swedish Medical Society of Gottenburg.

Dr. Richards, joining the Harvard staff in 1919, assuming his present position two years later, and for the past ten years has been in charge of the care of athletes on Soldiers Field, under the supervision of the H.A.A. The expected transfer of this supervision to the Department of Hygiene is seen as a step toward greater centralization of the medical work of the University. Dr. Richards' resignation, necessitated by the growth of his private practice, was handed in during the summer of 1931, and was officially announced on September 26.