THE CHURCH AND THE STATE

The Spanish Republic, in attacking the Jesuit Order, is fulfilling a revolutionary tradition. The Church has always supported the established order, consecrating that which like itself can turn to the past for historical justification. Being fundamentally conservative it is inevitable that it should be attacked by the young and the radical. Yet the Church has outlived its rivals. Adapting itself to the eventual pressure of circumstance, it has maintained its basic assertions and lays hold of the same qualities in man today, which it appealed to five hundred years ago.

If the Spanish revolution is to be successful the state must establish its authority independent of that of the Church. It was inevitable that the Jesuits would come in for a share of the attack. They have maintained a power in Spain which the state could not afford to allow them. They have controlled much of the country's land, necessary to the development of the state and private enterprise, and have exercised a great influence in the nation through their far flung system of schools. In addition to whatever interference in political affairs can be traced to the Society, their position has been burdensome. No longer an incorruptible organization conducting a holy war against indifference and heresy, the Jesuits have lost their original justification while retaining their privileges.

Whether their expulsion will be permanent is a matter of conjecture. At any rate, in Spain, as in Mexico and other countries, a readjustment is in progress between the Church and the State. In most countries this translation, has been already accomplished and the separation of powers is complete. When the first flush of revolution in Spain has passed the Church will return with its energies freshened and redirected. The Jesuits also, may well gain new strength and purpose as a result of their expulsion at the present time.