KENNELLY FINDS JAPAN KIND HOST

Invited to Country as First Speaker of New International Fund--Finds Little Said of War With China

"My recent lecturing tour of Japan has left me with a keen sense of the politeness and friendliness of its people," commented A. E. Kennelly, professor of electrical engineering, Emeritus, in an interview yesterday. Professor Kennelly has just returned from the Far East, where he gave a series of lectures on electrical engineering at six Japanese universities. "From Sendie in the North to Fuknoka in the South we were treated with the utmost courtesy at all times. From the time we landed on Nipponnese soil until we embarked for America again, we were always accompanied by former students of mine and being continually entertained by the people of the universities."

Professor Kennelly's lecture tour was at the invitation of the Iwedalaie fund, which annually provides for Japanese students studying electrical engineering in this country and for an American engineer or teacher giving a month's series of lectures on that subject in Japan. Professor Kennelly, who was accompanied by his wife, was the first recipient of the invitation provided by the fund.

Speaking of the ceremoniousness of the Japanese, Professor Kennelly said: "At one university a half-holiday was taken in order to make me a member of the Electrical Engineers of Japan, and I was presented with a large parchment scroll in a beautifully ornamented wooden box." The interviewer then had the pleasure of seeing the scroll and its box and several other articles which had been presented to Professor and Mrs. Kennelly on their departure. Among these were two bamboo slide-rules with 19 scales on each of them, made with the finest precision.

Discussing the Manchurian situation, Professor Kennelly said: "Judging from the attitude in Japan, one would find it difficult to believe that anything out of the ordinary were happening, for the Japanese people speak very little about the situation, the whole affair being in the hands of the government, which is all-powerful."