THOMAS NIXON CARVER

The retirement of Professor T. N. Carver from active teaching life is a loss to the University; both to the undergraduates and to his colleagues of the faculty. After 32 years of activity at Harvard in the fields of sociology and economics Professor Carver is retiring to be better able to formulate the results of his research and to enjoy an academic life without the routine burden of college work.

In his book "The Distribution of Wealth," Professor Carver established the principles of economic theory. This book is still regarded as an authority in its particular field. Of recent years Professor Carver has been turning his attention largely toward the new realm of sociology. A member of the newly organized Department of Sociology he has had a vital interest in its development giving time and thought to its administration. In addition to his course in the "Problems of Economic and Social Theory" he has given a course dealing in "Social Organization and Structure."

The influence of Professor Carver as an economist has been used in part to force the recognition that the science of economics can not be considered apart from that of man. With this broadening of scope he has yet succeeded in maintaining a rigid classicism in economic theory. It is to be hoped that Professor Carver in his retirement will be able to gather the work of his active years and make it available for those eager to benefit by his experience.