COLLEGE BOARD REPORT PROPOSES NEW TYPE OF SUPPLEMENTARY EXAMS

Would Serve to Validate School Records and Certificates--Award Prize for Proficiency in Greek

In the thirty-first annual report of the College Entrance Examination Board, published recently, it was suggested by Carl C. Brigham, the Board's Associate Secretary, that the Board establish a set of examinations to validate or corroborate school certificates.

The proposed examinations would be held in the middle of the school year and would in no sense conflict with the June examinations. Like the Scholastic Aptitude Test they would not be based upon the school curriculum, but would measure results or attainment. It is probable that these examinations would consist of three parts, a verbal test, a mathematical test, and a modern language test, each of three hours' duration.

Such is the proposal which has already met with the endorsement of the College Entrance Examination Board which passed the resolution at its annual meeting last October that these examinations be offered as soon as the funds necessary for their conduct are assured.

Jacob Cooper Greek Prize

To promote a more active interest and scholarship in the Greek language, a prize was first offered this year by Mr. Drury W. Cooper in memory of his father, Jacob Cooper, who was for many years Professor of Greek at Rutgers College. According to his plan one thousand dollars is to be paid each year to that candidate for admission to college who on the basis of the Board's examinations appears to be most proficient in Greek. The first winner of this prize was A. M. Kelley '35.