COUNCIL HAS MANY DEBATES PLANNED IN COMING MONTHS

Council Will Travel South and West During Spring Vacation--Broadcast of Yale-Princeton Clash Likely

A stiff debating schedule has just been announced by G. F. Oest '33, secretary of the Harvard Debating Council, and the team will start preparing for the coming contests as soon as the mid-year period is over.

It is hoped that the final debate, the triangular foresnic clash with Yale and Princeton, will be broadcast, for the first time in the history of this fixture.

The spring trip, which will take the Council as far south as Florida and west to Kentucky on the return, will give the Crimson debaters ample practice for their clash with its two rivals on Friday, May 20.

Coach J. M. Swigert '30 will rehearse his men on one subject only for the next three debates, the general topic of capitalism. On Saturday, February 20 the debaters will face Dartmouth in Cambridge, speaking on the subject, "Resolved that capital is a failure." The sides of the question have not as yet been assigned, but it is probable that the Crimson will uphold the affirmative. The second debate on capitalism comes on Saturday, March 12, when the team meets an aggregation from the University of Florida, probably speaking on the affirmative side of the topic "Resolved, That Congress should enact legislation providing for specialized control of industry." On Thursday, March 31 it will uphold the other argument of this issue against an invading team from Oberlin College. These debates will be held in the Large Lecture Room of the Fogg Art Museum.

The results of the Harvard-Oxford forensic contest, as broadcast from England and America in December, was a decisive victory for Harvard, according to letters received by the National Broadcasting Company commenting on the debate. More than 300 letters, coming from 24 states and three Canadian Provinces. Many of the letters come from Englishmen traveling through this country, among them a member of Parliament. The score by letters was 132 for Harvard and 90 for the British speakers.