Cafeteria Statistics Show Milk To Be Favorite Drink of College Man--Fruits, and Sweetstuffs Next in Popularity

Milk is the college man's favorite drink, according to recently tabulated statistics of food consumption at the Eliot House cafeteria. Fruits and Sweetstuffs, moreover, are the least popular foods that are served in the night lunch room.

The cafeteria, modeled after the one opened two years ago in the Business School, has, since its foundation last spring, met a demand on the part of upperclassmen for a place to eat at night without undergoing the inconvenience of walking to the Square. But the main reason for the cafeteria's popularity, according to a statement from an official of the Dining Halls, is that it furnishes the student a respite in his studying and a chance to relax in congenial surroundings before retiring for the night.

From 150 to 200 men patronize the cafeteria every evening, the majority of whom come in between the hours of 10.30 and 12 o'clock. The week-ends, however, see less men, most of whom arrive just before one o'clock, at which time, the cafeteria closes. Nine out of ten men order sandwiches, the toasted tomato category being the most popular, with toasted cheese or toasted bacon among the other favorites. There is also a great demand for waffles; eggs are seldom ordered. Ginger ale runs a poor second to milk as a favorite drink, while coffee and tea, contrary to popular opinion are in little demand.

The restaurant is run on a non-profit basis, although last year it managed to pay its way. Having already proved itself so popular, the night lunch will continue to run, whether at a profit or loss. At present the cafeteria is run exclusively for upperclassmen, but changes which will allow Freshmen to be admitted in the near future are now under consideration.