Patientia Nostra

THE MAIL

(Ed. Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions, at the request of the writer, will names be withheld.)

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

If I remember rightly, one of the objections (and possibly the only objection) to interhouse eating is the confusion which would be caused by the sorting of meal checks which one signs when he sits down to eat. It is claimed that this would be more than the secretarial staff of the dining halls could manage.

There seems to me to be a rather easy solution of this difficulty. A number of slips from all of the seven House dining halls could be kept at each hall. When some student not a resident of that house went in as a guest of a resident, he might be required to ask for a slip from the house of which he was a resident, and fill it out just as if he were eating at this own hall.

Then, at the end of a day, or a week, depending on how a count of the number of meals per week a student has eaten is taken, these slips might be sent to his own house and counted there, as part of his regular meal slips.

If it were found impracticable to keep the checks signed by non-residents separate from the time they were taken up by the waitress, the job of separating them could be made a part of the Temporary Student Employment plan. I know several students who would be glad of such a job, and one must admit that it is less of a sinecure than warily watching that no one chips gold leaf off the walls of Adams House. Samuel Sonenfield '34.