DeVoto States Criticism Lacks Basis in Fact But Furnishes Pleasant Pastime--Had No Purpose in Writing Recent Book

"There is absolutely no reality in criticism, but it is among the more pleasant and interesting of indoor games--in fact far more interesting than chess. All criticism agrees in fact, but not in sentiment and therefore literary judgment is worthless," said Bernard DeVoto '20, Instructor in the Department of English, in an interview.

"I had absolutely no purpose in writing my book," the noted author replied in answer to a question as to why he had commenced his latest undertaking, "except to amuse myself. As you know, my book is the result of Mr. Ernest Boyd's suggestion that my acquaintance with frontier society might be serviceable in the explanation of Mark Twain. It was originally intended to be one of a series of short biographies, to be known as the 'International Men of Letters Series.' The articles, however, were never published, and I, therefore, decided to continue my work, with 'Mark Twain's America' as the result. Although there is no guiding principle in the book, I believe I have succeeded in conveying the idea to my readers that facts are far more important than surmises, and theories. I, myself, am opposed to all theorizing in literature. And since there can be no criticism without theory, no attempt at discriminating literary judgment is successful. Literature may, thus, be viewed only from an historical viewpoint, which is the reason why I consider myself not a critic, but an historian.

"As far as Mark Twain is personally concerned," Mr. DeVoto continued, "I have endeavored to prove that he is a man of literary importance. Although he is today one of the most widely read of American authors, nevertheless, I do not believe he has received the recognition he deserves from the literary critics. However, I have given no proofs to substantiate my argument of Twain's importance, but have based it entirely upon fact. Being fundamentally opposed to all flat literary questions which are absolutely personal, I have also endeavored to suppress the man's personality."