LECTURE LISTS

Last year the English department issued an excellent list of selected course lectures that would be of help to the student preparing for divisional examinations. The list was used by almost every concentrator, and the idea proved very successful. But as yet this fall no plans for duplicating it have been made.

It is obvious that a student cannot cover the vast amount of material in a field such as English in the eleven courses possible for concentration. The purpose of the Tutorial System was, of course, to fill up the gaps left and to tie the whole together. And although at present it accomplishes this aim to perhaps a sufficient extent, listening to the lectures of specialists on particular authors and works was of great advantage, especially in the case of works the student has not time to read himself. Similarly in other departments, History for instance, or Fine Arts, Comparative Literature, or even Government and Economics where an enormous field has to be spanned, the value of lectures which would supplement course and tutorial work is equally great.

If the system of concentration is ever to be a completely successful, plans of this sort, not this one necessarily, although it is a step in the right direction, must be effected. Other departments, especially those mentioned above would profit by following the example of the English department. And the English department itself should issue its list early enough this year so that it could be of the greatest advantage.