Team Out To Best Powerful Bruins in Mid-Season Battle

Providence, Rhode Island, October 28--Meeting for the thirty-third time, the undefeated teams of Harvard and Brown will undergo an acid test of superiority tomorrow.

The Bruin squad, at full strength for the game, has taken Yale, Springfield, Rhode Island State and Tufts into camp in its four previous encounters, and has been drilling hard for the clash this weekend.

Hindered by a marked inability to click during the early part of the season, an uncoordinated Brown eleven set a fast and deadly pace against Yale and defeated Tufts last Saturday without being extended during the entire game.

Some slight injuries to possible starters makes a pre-game selection of the men who will answer the opening whistle a hazardous task, but most of the veteran players will probably get the call against the Crimson. Bob Chase stellar Bruin quarterback, will be surrounded by the pick of the backfield aspirants, including Captain Bill Gilbane at fullback and probably Gilmartin and Allen in the wing positions. The quantity of good available secondary players will make the starting backfield a mere selection of the men who can carry out Coach McLaughry's assignments to best advantage.

Berths on the forward wall are much more definite at this stage. The Brown brothers, Rollie and Larry, will be seen in their usual tackle positions, with Tom Gilbane at center. These three regulars have been the foundation of the Brown line for two seasons, and have offered stony resistance at all times. The end posts will be filled by Frank Meadow and Mal Ball, both men having risen to places in the spotlight recently. Meadow, an unknown two seasons ago, has proven himself the best end on the squad, and a brilliant analyzer of plays while on the defense.

Although plenty of guard material is at hand, these key positions have been the center of much debate all season. It is probable that Dan Fraad and Dutch Lear, two stalwarts from the 1935 Freshman team, will start for Brown, with Offen, Sayward, Patton, King, and Walker awaiting an opportunity to get into the game.

Brown has two teams, which are almost equal in ability and effectiveness, and the coaches have two or three capable substitutes for every starting player. In the backfield Joe Buonanno and Harry Spinney are eligible for the quarterback berth held by Chase, and, despite recent injuries, their fleetness of foot may be needed against Harvard. Frank Gammine, who has come into great prominence as fullback, is playing better football than in the past two seasons, and should give Bill Gilbane a chance to rest.