LACK OF SPIRIT BLAMED FOR DEFEAT OF CRIMSON

CRIMSON WILL HOLD STRENUOUS WORKOUTS BEFORE SATURDAY

Completely routed by an obviously Eli-proof Brown team, against which the Crimson's kicking and running attacks made little impression, Coach Casey's team looks forward to the coming game with a reputedly strong and tested West Point aggregation with considerable trepidation.

Harvard's principal weakness exhibited in Saturday's 14-0 upset was the lack of spirit, and the poor coordination which the team displayed against the Bears' unified teamwork. The Crimson's serial attack was also lamentably weak, with only two passes completed out of the dozen attempted. Time after time the ball went spinning wide of the mark when a successful pass would have stemmed the Brown tide.

Encouraged by the unfortunate penalty which deprived the Crimson of Crickard's splendid 69-yard run, resulting in a touchdown, the Bruins romped away with the game, putting over two touchdowns after conducting 79-and 65-yard marches to score. Buonanno, who went in for the Rhode Islanders in the second period was the inspiring force behind the first touchdown. Captain Gilbane made the second six points after leading a drive down the field accomplished in nine plays.

Brown's perfect blocking and timing. completely undid the Crimson, especially in the last half. Three costly fumbles by the backfield could not be offset by the outstanding work of Bancroft, Hageman, and Hardy. Dean's kicking was one of the few bright spots for the Crimson, in the disappointing outcome. Whitney also showed up well in the last few minutes of play.

With these flaws revealed in the first defeat of the season, Casey's men may be expected to take something of a brace before the cadets invade the Stadium next week. Army held William and Mary scoreless Saturday, 33-0, and has taken games from Yale, Furman, and Carleton, but has also incurred one defeat at the hands of Pitt, 18-13