NOT ALL DEER AND SKITTLES

Before Prohibition the liquor industry won notoriety by its insidious publicity work; a recent bit of propaganda, presumably sent by brewers to the college publications where it would do the most good, states in part: "A prosperous brewing industry on a whole-some basis will do more for genuine temperance than any group of idealists or reformers over could do in a thousand years . . . Right now is the time to interest the college and school youth in the vital problems of the brewing industry . . . undergraduates, perverted and vitiated by the vicious booting liquor . . . Before prohibition, beer was regarded as a comcomitant of a college career . . . Not one tenth of one per cent of the youth in college know what really good American beer tastes like . . . They will have to be educated . . . They have become fed up with humdrum existence without beer, and seem to require girls and hard liquor for diversion as they know no other way." This monograph on the necessity of education college youth speaks for itself equally well to all with or without a sense of humor.

Most of those who have worked for the return of alcoholic liquors because they are sincerely interested in the welfare of the public have had no desire for a prosperous brewing industry. They are unanimous in believing that there must be a careful control of spirtous beverages, and severe restrictions on the sale of hard liquors.

The legalization of alcoholic liquors presents a problem which should not be bungled by hasty, uniformed action, such as that which characterized the passage of the Volstead law. There should be a careful study of the results of control in Ontario, Finland, and in other countries where the government attempt to make restrictions other than those designed purely for revenue. Serious consideration of government productions in order. Most important, however, is the task of keeping the liquor trade out of the hands of self-appointed educators of youth.